Profile & Modular configuration, Module Restarting...

• Hi, there.
    I’m not familiar with Node, Electon, JS and also MM… So this could be silly requests.

I think MM is no more just contents-display-toy. It could be home entertainment server or automation hub like Google Home. So I’m so excited with possibilities of MM.

Anyway, as a Newbie, I have some curiosity for some features of this MM framework.

1. Profile
      MM has modules, but not support modular configuration. A HUGE-GLOBAL-config.js controls everything. When this project began, it could be enough. But good-old-time is gone. After installation of tons of modules, I found it is so difficult to manage configuration.
      I believe MM should support Profile and Modular configuration in the next version.
      Profile means not only real human(“Jane”, “Daddy”, “Guest”, “Everyone”…) but also modes.(“Debug”, “Party”, “Christmas”, “Security-During-Vacation”…)
      Users can make individual profile configuration per each profile. By example, “Jane” wants to use ‘calendar’ and ‘transportation information’. “Security” wants to monitor several home monitoring modules. You know what I mean.
      I know some Profile or mode(Page or Scheduler) related modules already exist. But I think this features should be included in default core system.

2. Modular configuration (and managing modules)
      Without refactoring configuration, Profiles could be another tons of copy of HUGE-GLOBAL-configs.
      My suggestion is here;
      Each profile config(eg. “Jane.config.js”) describes only which modules to use and where they would be positioned. it could direct another config files. By Example, “Jane” want to use "family-share-modules’ and ‘Jane-specific-modules’. The end configuration files should be real module-specific-configurations.(“Jane.calendar.config.js”, “family.calendar.config.js”…)
      When MM starts, System could scan the directories to load a global configuration. Then it could search proper profile configuration lists. And finally, each module configurations could be found in each module directories. If Module-configuration is in its own module directory, removing module could be easier to modify exist configs less.

3. Module restarting or reloading or run-time configuration
      For profile switching or modular configuration, the module should be reloaded with new configuration. (Is it avaiable currently??)
      As I know, If “Jane” wants her calendar and “Daddy” wants his calendar individually, currently two calendar instances are required.(with Show-and-Hide tricks) I think this is the waste of resources. It’s better to reload(or restart or refresh… anyway) calendar module with another configuration.

How do you think about these features?

Looks like your connection to MagicMirror Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.