MagicMirror² v2.8.0 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.

Yet Another Spotify Post

• So I’m building an interactive magic mirror on my own web site and served on my RPi. I was hoping to be able to play, show and control a spotify playlist on this MM but I’m being discouraged that I can do all three. I’ve toyed around with mopidy, but it doesn’t look like I can play one of my playlists using this tool. Are there other tools out there that might allow me to do this?

• Replying to my own post for other newbies to follow along in my journey. Mopidy acts as a server (called an MPD) for Spotify (among other sources). It has an extension called Mopfy-Spotify that can be added and configured to connect to your PAID spotify account.

You can’t do squat with Mopidy without a CLIENT to control the server. This is where Mopify comes in. It’s a client (called an MPC) that can control it from within a browser. This is still not 100% what I’m looking for, but it’s a step in the right direction. I’ve been able to graphically interact with my spotify account via my Pi. Progress!

Ultimately, I won’t have a mouse or keyboard hooked up to my mirror, so I need a way to:

• Select 1 of x playlists (displayed dynamically on my mirror)
    • Play the selected track
    • Skip to the previous/next track if needed
    • All without a mouse/keyboard

The journey continues!

• Spotify songs are mainly an online streaming music. That makes it difficult to control and play through other players or applications.
    If you’d like a better way to control Spotify songs better, you can also download Spotify music without premium by using third party Spotify music downloader.
    I have tried the free trial version and it works.

• To play Spotify music on Magic Mirror, you need to convert Spotify music to Magic Mirror compatible audio formats, like MP3.
    If you are not familiar with Spotify to MP3 Converter, you can have a try of Spotify MP3 downloader, which can convert Spotify music, playlists, podcasts to MP3, FLAC and other Magic Mirror compatible formats so that you can listen to Spotify music on Magic Mirror no matter you are using Spotify free or premium account.