Touch foil, maybe a solution ?

• Hi !

I read all I can about touch solutions on this forum, and I see that everybody turn to IR frame because touch foil fails on metallic coat of 2-way mirror.

But I search harder because I really want a result without the 1 cm between my wood frame and the mirror…
    And Airbars are too small, no 24" 😕

Anyway, I change my strategy and search a 2-way mirror without metallic coat.

I thought starting with the Mirropane Chrome Spy, affordable price with delivery to France (from Germany), good reflection, low transmission to get a good result in dark room too (with high contrast MVA monitor).

But Pilkington claims that their Mirroview is made with non-metallic coat, and compatible with touch foil (and, affordable price too) 🙂

So, I have 2 questions :

• does anybody have already tried to do a touch mirror with Mirroview and touch foil ?
    • does anybody have tried to build a magic mirror with Mirroview to tell me if the high transmission (26%) isn’t too high for dark room ? (even with a 3000:1 contrast screen)

I talk about the standard Mirroview, not the 50/50 that should be really “transparent” on dark room, even with a black background on MVA screen…

Thanks !

• Sounds interesting, have you asked the company for a sample piece for you to try?

• Yep, but the sample is 9x9 cm, really tiny to test a precise touch… And I didn’t buy the touch foil cuz’ I’m not sure it can work 😉

That’s why I’m ask here if anyone has tried that before 🙂

• Hmpf, I don’t know which touch foil I should buy ; most of them didn’t say if it’s compatible with Raspberry PI ARM architecture…

• Hi,

Little update, after a looooot a research, I find a touch foil that should be compatible with Raspberry Pi and its ARM architecture.

Some discussions with the seller later, I bought the XTM-24S (10 touch points, 24", side controller). The seller sent me the touch foil for 50$ + shipping (for me, in France, shipping double the price…)

I’m waiting for glass samples, and when glass + touch foil will be there, I’ll test them all and give you the results 🙂

FYI, touch foil is : https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/XTM-24-inch-capacitive-touch-screen_62070523970.html

One thing to note :
    Touch foil contains some conductive “lines”, they can be visible on a glass, maybe not behind a mirror. I will try it.
    For 32" and more, conductives lines are 10 µm ; for smaller size, lines are 15 µm.

Photo from the seller :

15 VS 10 um

• Cool, I look forward to seeing how you get on with this project.

• I received mirror samples (not the touch foil for the moment).

Tried Mirastar, MirroView, and ChromeSpy.

• MirroView permit to view any colour clearly, and without metallic coat, should be compatible with touch foils. But reflection is a little poor, and in dark room, event with luminosity at 0 we can see the black screen. So, should be used for touch capacity and in very light room.

• ChromeSpy has better reflection, but a little “brown”. Much better in dark room, in light room it needs a good luminosity behind. Great for white text on black screen, but not for colours.

• Mirastar has the best reflection, and work really great in dark room. Like ChromeSpy, it needs a higher luminosity in light room. Great for white text on black screen, not for colours too.

So, if we really need touch capacity or colours, MirroView is the best, but a little sacrifice on reflection (not really useful as a real mirror)
    If we need a better reflection, no colours behind, and no touch screen, Mirastar is the winner. Maybe need an adaptative script/screen to adjust luminosity in function of room light.
    ChromeSpy is near Mirastar, let a little more colours passed, but with a little worst reflection.