MagicMirror² v2.4.1 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.
Please read the release notes carefully since this update requires adjustments to your Raspberry Pi configuration!

How similar is the reflection of Glass+Gila Film to a typical bathroom mirror?

• Hi all,

I’m putting together a parts list for a magic mirror to go in my bathroom. The plan is to have a mirror that is roughly 30"x40", with a 24" LED monitor in one of the corners as the display. For the mirror I was going to use 1/8" clear glass with Gila mirrored window film.

I want this to be the main mirror in my bathroom, meaning I’d like it to have nearly identical reflective properties as a standard bathroom mirror. Does anyone here have a magic mirror in their bathroom, who can comment on how similar (or different) its reflection is to a typical mirror? I’ve seen some pictures and the lighting/tint appears to be off in some of them, but I don’t know if that’s just the camera.

Thanks!

• Module Developer

If it’s a good reflection you are after, don’t use a mirror film, you will never be satisfied with it’s reflection qualitys.

Get a proper coated two-way mirror with a high reflection %

• Thanks for the response. I ended up buying a two way mirror sample (1/8" thick) from twowaymirrors.com. As long as the monitor is completely flush against the back of the mirror, the reflection is identical to that of a regular mirror. 🙂 So I think I’ll go with a real two way mirror as opposed to a film.

Cheers!