What is the procedure for reviving a dead module?
MMM-fitbit has been inactive for over 3 years.
I am interested in picking this project up myself, but I am not sure what the procedure is for doing this.
Should I create a new module name for it, or should I “replace” this module as its active development equivalent?
@Vizulize fork the module (upper right button on github page)
now you have a copy of the module, and u can do whatever you want…
if you care, or the author cares, u can submit your changes back (submit a Pull Request to the author)
if not, then don’t…
Of course, you can also release
newmodule with new name like
@sdetweil Obviously this would be an option if it weren’t dead. My question was what to do given the fact that a PR is unlikely to be responded to.
@Sean I think that this is probably the way to go, so I’ll do that.
Yes please do this. I was just looking to add this today, but looks like I’ll wait. If you’re able do you mind adding the water stat as well?
@Fr8Trayne I’ve got the following currently supported data:
- Steps Walked (compared to goal)
- Calories Burned (compared to goal)
- Total Distance Walked (compared to goal)
- # of Active Minutes (compared to goal)
- # of Floors Climbed (compared to goal)
- Resting Heart Rate (average for the day)
- Today’s Remaining Water Intake (amount consumed subtracted from goal)
- Today’s Remaining Calories To Consume (amount consumed subtracted from goal)
- Sleep Time (compared to goal)
- Current Weight (last weigh-in, if within the last 30 days)
I need icons for water, food and weight, and some assistance with formatting before I will post it publicly. Perhaps I will create a new forum post for this.
This is awesome! Did you add it as a new module?
I want to get icons and formatting sorted before I add it publicly. However, you can try it here: https://github.com/m-roberts/MMM-Fitbit2
Also, I need to handle credentials from the config, as currently they are hard-coded into files that are used by the Python Fitbit library. This needs to be handled from the config directly, to support multiple Fitbit accounts on one setup.
@Vizulize keep up the great work! If I had the coding knowledge to help I would definitely lend a hand. This will be an awesome addition to many Magic Mirrors.