MagicMirror Forum
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Unsolved
    • Solved
    • MagicMirror² Repository
    • Documentation
    • 3rd-Party-Modules
    • Donate
    • Discord
    • Register
    • Login
    A New Chapter for MagicMirror: The Community Takes the Lead
    Read the statement by Michael Teeuw here.

    Black screen after adding modules.

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Solved Troubleshooting
    13 Posts 2 Posters 2.8k Views 3 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S
      sdetweil @ljhig
      last edited by

      @ljhig u need to upgrade to node v14 for this version of electron. u are on node 10

      use nvm to upgrade. have to install nvm first

      google search how to do

      after node upgrade

      run my upgrade script

      see https://github.com/sdetweil/MagicMirror_scripts

      u will have to use force as the parm instead of apply

      Sam

      How to add modules

      learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

      L 2 Replies Last reply
      Reply Quote 1
      • L
        ljhig @sdetweil
        last edited by

        @sdetweil thank you for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

        I’m new to the forum too btw, so apologies if I’ve posted in the wrong place/generic problem (due to downvotes).

        I will follow your instruction as soon as I’m home.

        Thanks again :)

        1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • L
          ljhig @sdetweil
          last edited by

          @sdetweil said in Black screen after adding modules.:

          u will have to use force as the parm instead of apply

          again, apologies for my ignorance but how would I do this? node has been updated and ran your update script buy still getting black screen.

          S 1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • S
            sdetweil @ljhig
            last edited by sdetweil

            @ljhig when u did phase 2 of update you were told to use ‘apply’ as parameter

            use ‘force’ instead
            because my script checks, if u already have the latest, then there is nothing to do.

            but I think u have the missing library problem.

            if u use pm2 to launch mm, then do
            pm2 logs --lines=100

            look for ‘module not found’

            just in case, to minimize the MM screen do, alt-spacebar, then n
            (just like on windows)

            Sam

            How to add modules

            learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

            L 1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • L
              ljhig @sdetweil
              last edited by

              @sdetweil I don’t believe I use PM2, I type:

              cd MagicMirror/
              npm run start
              

              That works for the original config but not the adjusted one. Should I learn how to install/use pm2 to launch to find out what the missing library problem is?

              S 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • S
                sdetweil @ljhig
                last edited by

                @ljhig don’t need pm2… just scroll the window up where you do npm start

                if u want pm2, then use my script to add it… see the end of the list of stuff on my scripts page

                Sam

                How to add modules

                learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

                L 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • L
                  ljhig @sdetweil
                  last edited by

                  @sdetweil I will eventually use your script once I’ve got this working, I think it’s really useful and will fit my purpose brilliantly. Gift for my sister who is less tech savvy then me!

                  
                  pi@raspberrypi:~/MagicMirror $ npm run start
                  
                  > magicmirror@2.17.1 start /home/pi/MagicMirror
                  > DISPLAY="${DISPLAY:=:0}" ./node_modules/.bin/electron js/electron.js
                  
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.32.637] [LOG]   Starting MagicMirror: v2.17.1
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.32.650] [LOG]   Loading config ...
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.32.663] [LOG]   Loading module helpers ...
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.32.667] [LOG]   No helper found for module: MMM-Carousel.
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.32.669] [LOG]   No helper found for module: alert.
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.32.709] [LOG]   Initializing new module helper ...
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.32.712] [LOG]   Module helper loaded: updatenotification
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.32.715] [LOG]   No helper found for module: clock.
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.32.716] [LOG]   No helper found for module: compliments.
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.32.718] [LOG]   No helper found for module: MagicMirror-QuoteCatalog.
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.33.558] [LOG]   Initializing new module helper ...
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.33.559] [LOG]   Module helper loaded: MMM-NowPlayingOnSpotify
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.33.561] [LOG]   No helper found for module: weather.
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.33.562] [LOG]   All module helpers loaded.
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.33.754] [LOG]   Starting server on port 8080 ... 
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.33.798] [LOG]   Server started ...
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.33.801] [LOG]   Connecting socket for: updatenotification
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.33.803] [LOG]   Connecting socket for: MMM-NowPlayingOnSpotify
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.33.805] [LOG]   Sockets connected & modules started ...
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.34.230] [LOG]   Launching application.
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.37.412] [ERROR] (node:1813) [DEP0005] DeprecationWarning: Buffer() is deprecated due to security and usability issues. Please use the Buffer.alloc(), Buffer.allocUnsafe(), or Buffer.from() methods instead.
                  (Use `electron --trace-deprecation ...` to show where the warning was created)
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.37.791] [LOG]   Refreshed access token because it has expired. Expired at: 17:34:37 now is: 17:34:37
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.42.539] [LOG]   Shutting down server...
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.42.541] [LOG]   Stopping module helper: updatenotification
                  [03.10.2021 17:34.42.542] [LOG]   Stopping module helper: MMM-NowPlayingOnSpotify
                  
                  
                  S 1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • S
                    sdetweil @ljhig
                    last edited by

                    @ljhig I don’t know. I would start by disabling one module at a time til u find the villian

                    add

                    disabled:true,
                    

                    after the
                    module:
                    line
                    for each module,
                    restart mm

                    Sam

                    How to add modules

                    learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

                    L 2 Replies Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • L
                      ljhig @sdetweil
                      last edited by

                      @sdetweil cheers, starting from scratch again and adding each module one by one, and running after every minor change. Should allow me to catch a problem before it becomes one.

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 1
                      • L
                        ljhig @sdetweil
                        last edited by

                        @sdetweil I have used your magic mirror auto start script, how do I disable/enable it so I can access the magic mirror?

                        Now when I type CTRL+Q it automatically reopens after 5-10 seconds.

                        S 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • S
                          sdetweil @ljhig
                          last edited by sdetweil

                          @ljhig pm2’s job is to keep mm running!

                          minimize, alt-spacebar, n

                          open terminal window
                          ctrl-alt-t

                          pm2 stop all

                          checkout the other pm2 commands

                          stop, start, restart, logs, flush

                          pm2 --help

                          Sam

                          How to add modules

                          learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

                          L 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 1
                          • L
                            ljhig @sdetweil
                            last edited by

                            @sdetweil thank you! I know I’ve been an absolute pain but just know that I really appreciate experience users offering assistance to simple folk like myself. Have a brilliant day.

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0

                            Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                            Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                            With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                            Register Login
                            • 1 / 1
                            • First post
                              Last post
                            Enjoying MagicMirror? Please consider a donation!
                            MagicMirror created by Michael Teeuw.
                            Forum managed by Sam, technical setup by Karsten.
                            This forum is using NodeBB as its core | Contributors
                            Contact | Privacy Policy