Read the statement by Michael Teeuw here.
Magicmirror with frame - Power consumption with Tibber
I came across Magicmirror in an article about a norwegian power supplyer and decided I should give it a go. Another norwegian fellow had made a module for Tibber (the power supplyer in question) which showed power consumption, price, voltage and much more live on screen.
I already had a Raspberry Pi 4 lying around from some other projects I had been working on, so that was my base.
Materials and cost:
Raspberry Pi 4 - 80 EU (including power supply and case)
Display 22" Dell Monitor - Free (Old monitor which i had lying around)
Frame - Had to buy wood, which costs a newborn child and the blood of your secondborn these days, aprox. 30EU
Glass - Free, found an old window which someone gave away online. Had to buy a glass-cutter, cost about 10EU
Sunscreen window film. Usually used on car-windows, but worked flawlessly for this application and really gave it an extra dimension with a “mirror” look - 10EU
Paint, glue and screws were leftovers from other projects aswell - Free
Total cost: ~130EU included Raspberry
Included: newsfeed, alert, updatenotification, clock
I installed MMM on Raspberry first. The whole proccess took me a almost a month on and off. I love to go deep and fiddle with code and things I have no clue how to do, can spend hours problem solving small problems who no one else even would think about.
My initial though was just to have the MMM-Tibber module, and not much else. But this quickly changed when I took a look at all the modules which were available. I ended up having a calendar, newfeed, weather and the XKCD-comic.
The biggest challenge, programming-wise, was getting the MMM-CalendarExt2 to work and I spent probably two weeks trying to figure out how to get everything working. In the end I managed to get everything working the way I wanted, and it now includes work and private calendars for both my girlfriend and me, birthdays and trash collection.
The calendar-types are iCloud, Office365 and Google. iCloud was a challenge getting to work, but I got it working by adding a new calendar within my Gmail account and linking that to the private .ics link from iCloud. That seems to be working fine.
One thing i couldnt get working was the ability to transform the title of events based on the content of either title or description of the event. I have made another post about that, so if anyone feel the urge to help me out, please have a look.
Second challenge, carpentry. I am in no way a carpenter, but I am practical. So after spending way to much time planning, i finally decided to make two frames. The inner frame would hold the display and the outer frame would enclose everything and leave just enough height that it would be square with the glass ontop of the screen.
I sadly have no pictures of the making of the frame.
The display is glued to the inner frame with a little dot of glue in each corner, and the glass is glued to the outer frame with a thin line around the egde. This way, i can unscrew the inner frame from the outer frame and the display will come of without touching the glass. (At least I hope that will work, I have no intention or desire to test this at this point!)
As you can see from the pictures below, I have left a little square below the display. This is where I am planning to fit a camera for motion detection, so that the display doesnt always have to be on.
This has been a really fun project, and I hope I can actually get some use out of this compared to some of the other stupid things I spend my hard earned money on.