Improve updatenotification module (to be module selective)

• I would like to see the default updatenotification module to allow us to control what modules to show for updates.

Currently:
    I keep getting notifications for minor updates to certain modules that I do not intend to update. This is annoying, as I do not wish to disable the updatenotification module, since it is very useful for other core modules.

It would be great to have a simpler way to select what modules we either do want or do not want to see updates from. Perhaps through an additional module option, like moduleUpdateBlacklist: [MMM-myModdedModule, MMM-CryptoCurrency]?

I guess a workaround could be to remove the .git directory in the modules home directory, but then you remove all git features for that, which is just dumb.

Any ideas out there?

• Ok, this is the idea.
    We add the blacklist config option list to the module.
    When a module present in the list, the updatenotification module will rename that modules .git to .git_disabled. Tada’! No more messages…I think.

• @E3V3A But also means you lose the metadata stored in .git to manage (incl. update later) via .git without renaming the folder.

Why not have updatenotification iterate over/skip modules on the blacklist? Something like changing this line in node_helper.js:

if (defaultModules.indexOf(moduleName) < 0) {

To the following?

if (defaultModules.indexOf(moduleName) < 0 &&
    this.config.ignoreModules.indexOf(moduleName) < 0){

This means if the module is either (1) in defaultModules or (2) in the (new) ignoreModules it gets skipped.

Remember to also add ignoreModules: [] to defaults in updatenotification. You can then avoid altering the filesystem whatsoever.

• Although I concede I’m not sure how to set the config parameters for updatenotification in config.js (whether you can set params without instantiating the module).

• Ah Yeah. That actually sound like a much better solution!
    Not sure when I’m gonna have time to implement it though. Kinda low on my priority list, right now. We’ll see…