MagicMirror² v2.4.1 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.
Please read the release notes carefully since this update requires adjustments to your Raspberry Pi configuration!

Notifications and commands help please.

• Hi all, I’m new here so be gentle. I’m by no means a coder or anything like that, however with plenty of tutorials and this awesome forum I’ve managed to get the majority of my mirror set up how I like it. My question is the notification system:

I’m using pikrellcam to look after the camera on my Pi3, this can receive commands:

echo "motion_enable on" > ~/pikrellcam/www/FIFO
    echo "motion_enable off" > ~/pikrellcam/www/FIFO

My idea is to use MMM-NetworkScanner to ping my mobile, then broadcast the relevant command
    i.e. if I’m at home - turn motion detect off, when I go out - turn motion detect on.

I can get it to ping my phone, and broadcast notifications, but I have no idea how to get it to issue commands - any ideas?

Am I even going about this the right way?

Thanks in advance, Jon.

• as part of the configuration file for MMM-NetworkScanner there is an “occupiedCMD” and “vacantCMD” that you could try setting with the command sequence above. I haven’t used this tool yet so I am unsure what sort of commands can be passed.

• @Privacywonk Thanks for your idea, tried it today and it just comes up with ‘Please create a config file’.
    I tried putting the command inside { }, " ", and ’ '.

Any other ideas?

• So I did some quick googling over coffee this morning. I think there is a two part suggestion for you. Please note, this will require research and testing which I have not done, this is just directional.

1. Install MMM-RemoteControl - https://github.com/Jopyth/MMM-Remote-Control
    2. Add some custom code to the MMM-Remote-Control module to handle requests for turning on/off the motion device.

In MMM-Remote-Control’s node_helper.js module, you can find the “MONITORON” code:

if (query.action === "MONITORON")
    		{
    			exec("tvservice --preferred && sudo chvt 6 && sudo chvt 7", opts, function(error, stdout, stderr){ self.checkForExecError(error, stdout, stderr, res); });
    			return true;
    }

Notes:

• query.action defines a trigger word for the MMM-RemoteControl to listen for.
    • exec() - executes a command on the OS
    • The rest is for error checking that the external command executed.

In your case, we could define the following:

if (query.action === "MOTIONON")
    		{
    			exec("echo "motion_enable on" > ~/pikrellcam/www/FIFO", opts, function(error, stdout, stderr){ self.checkForExecError(error, stdout, stderr, res); });
    			return true;
    }

if (query.action === "MOTIONOFF")
    		{
    			exec("echo "motion_enable off" > ~/pikrellcam/www/FIFO", opts, function(error, stdout, stderr){ self.checkForExecError(error, stdout, stderr, res); });
    			return true;
    }