Turn monitor on/off with MMM-voice

• Re: Want to turn off my monitor

Hey guys! I’ve been reading some old threads and trying to make my monitor turn off and on with a voice command via MMM-voice.

I’m NOT using a Pi, but a laptop. I’ve tried @Mykle1’s following commands: (from Hello-Lucy - which works)

exec('xset dpms force off', null);
    exec('xset dpms force on', null);

I’ve implemented the code in the node_helper.js that executes a command when a voice command is detected:

} else if (/(CUSTOM)/g.test(data)) {
    	    exec('xset dpms force off', null);
                this.sendSocketNotification('CUSTOM');

The above code is executed when my mirror register the word “custom”.

this.sendSocketNotification(‘CUSTOM’); is there just so I can see if the command is recognized.

Problem: As it is right now, I can see that my mirror registers and executes the this.sendSocketNotification(‘CUSTOM’); however the exec(‘xset dpms force off’, null); does nothing. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

• Module Developer

@mdhenriksen
    Your laptop works with xset dpms force off on a shell? See your energy-saving setting in your environment.

• @sean said in Turn monitor on/off with MMM-voice:

@mdhenriksen
    Your laptop works with xset dpms force off on a shell? See your energy-saving setting in your environment.

Hey Sean! I’m on Ubuntu 18.10, so I guess it should work. I’m pretty sure Mykle1 is on Ubuntu 16.04.

As far as I know there is no energy-saving settings really. Could you elaborate you answer maybe? 😃

• Module Developer

@mdhenriksen
    I’m not experienced with Ubuntu, but I think there might be DPMS manager (Screen saver, monitor on/off) on X. You’d better check using DPMS enabled.

• @sean So you’re saying there might be a setting that allows for the DPMS being turned on and off, right?

• Module Developer

@mdhenriksen
    What would be displayed as the result of xset -q ?

• @sean Hey again Sean,

So here’s the output of xset -q:

I noticed the following: Server does not have the DPMS Extension 😑 Figured that’s why it’s not working. So I’m not sure about this whole DPMS thing. Is it an extension I can install or is it something native to a computer, e.g. hardware?

Keyboard Control:
      auto repeat:  on    key click percent:  0    LED mask:  00000000
      XKB indicators:
        00: Caps Lock:   off    01: Num Lock:    off    02: Scroll Lock: off
        03: Compose:     off    04: Kana:        off    05: Sleep:       off
        06: Suspend:     off    07: Mute:        off    08: Misc:        off
        09: Mail:        off    10: Charging:    off    11: Shift Lock:  off
        12: Group 2:     off    13: Mouse Keys:  off
      auto repeat delay:  500    repeat rate:  33
      auto repeating keys:  00ffffffdffffbbf
                            fadfffefffedffff
                            9fffffffffffffff
                            fff7ffffffffffff
      bell percent:  50    bell pitch:  400    bell duration:  100
    Pointer Control:
      acceleration:  2/1    threshold:  4
    Screen Saver:
      prefer blanking:  yes    allow exposures:  yes
      timeout:  0    cycle:  0
    Colors:
      default colormap:  0x23    BlackPixel:  0x0    WhitePixel:  0xffffff
    Font Path:
      /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,built-ins
    DPMS (Energy Star):
      Server does not have the DPMS Extension

• Module Developer

@mdhenriksen said in Turn monitor on/off with MMM-voice:

DPMS (Energy Star):
    Server does not have the DPMS Extension

I’m not expert of this kind, so I might be wrong.

As I know, in nowadays modern linux machine, DPMS is auto detected and enabled if ACPI is also enabled at kernel runtime. However check /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ in the Monitor section (Or corresponding alternatives on your environment. Again, I’m not familiar with *nix machines 😃 )

Option "DPMS" "true"

• @sean Yeah, I’m trying to look into that right now, but without much luck at the moment 😃

• SOLVED

This is not really a solution, but my error was that I was logged in on “Ubuntu on Wayland” which doesn’t have DPMS.

On the login screen of Ubuntu you can click the little gear-icon and choose what kind of Ubuntu you want to login to. Wayland is a bit restricted, so just go with “Ubuntu” and not “Ubuntu on Wayland”