MagicMirror Forum
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Unsolved
    • Solved
    • MagicMirror² Repository
    • Documentation
    • 3rd-Party-Modules
    • Donate
    • Discord
    • Register
    • Login
    A New Chapter for MagicMirror: The Community Takes the Lead
    Read the statement by Michael Teeuw here.

    No display after upgrading to 2.38

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Unsolved Troubleshooting
    14 Posts 5 Posters 440 Views 5 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • S
      sdetweil @wimThoelke
      last edited by

      @wimThoelke thanks for the feedback…

      how did you upgrade? manual or scripted?

      Sam

      How to add modules

      learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

      W 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • W
        wimThoelke @sdetweil
        last edited by

        @sdetweil
        manual upgrade of mm by git pull && node --run install-mm according to
        https://docs.magicmirror.builders/getting-started/upgrade-guide.html.
        then update of electron by npm install --save-dev electron@44.5.0

        S 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 1
        • S
          sdetweil @wimThoelke
          last edited by

          @wimThoelke thanks. Very helpful

          Sam

          How to add modules

          learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • S
            sdetweil
            last edited by

            I’ve updated my scripts to install an updated electron to fix this problem…
            during install or upgrade

            Sam

            How to add modules

            learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • P
              papinist
              last edited by

              I can confirm this issue on my setup as well.

              I upgraded MagicMirror from 2.37.0 to 2.38.0 on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B running Raspberry Pi OS Debian 13 (Trixie), 64-bit, with Wayland/labwc.

              After the upgrade, MagicMirror was running under PM2 and the server on port 8080 was working correctly, but the Electron window remained black / did not display the mirror.
              I initially had Electron 44.4.5, and upgrading manually to 44.5.0 did NOT fix the problem on my system.

              I then tested Electron 43.7.7, and MagicMirror worked correctly.
              Finally, after seeing that the MagicMirror upgrade script had been updated to install Electron 44.5.1, I installed 44.5.1 manually:

              npm install --no-save electron@44.5.1

              With Electron 44.5.1, MagicMirror immediately started working correctly again under Wayland, with all my modules running normally.
              So, at least on my Raspberry Pi 3B, 44.5.0 was not sufficient; Electron 44.5.1 was the version that actually fixed the problem.

              Thanks for updating the upgrade script to install 44.5.1 — that was essential in my case.
              Hopefully this helps anyone else who finds that upgrading only to 44.5.0 doesn’t solve the issue.

              S 1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 0
              • P
                papinist
                last edited by

                I can confirm this issue on my setup as well.

                I upgraded MagicMirror from 2.37.0 to 2.38.0 on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B running Raspberry Pi OS Debian 13 (Trixie), 64-bit, with Wayland/labwc.

                After the upgrade, MagicMirror was running under PM2 and the server on port 8080 was working correctly, but the Electron window remained black / did not display the mirror.
                I initially had Electron 44.4.5, and upgrading manually to 44.5.0 did NOT fix the problem on my system.

                I then tested Electron 43.7.7, and MagicMirror worked correctly.
                Finally, after seeing that the MagicMirror upgrade script had been updated to install Electron 44.5.1, I installed 44.5.1 manually:

                npm install --no-save electron@44.5.1

                With Electron 44.5.1, MagicMirror immediately started working correctly again under Wayland, with all my modules running normally.
                So, at least on my Raspberry Pi 3B, 44.5.0 was not sufficient; Electron 44.5.1 was the version that actually fixed the problem.

                Thanks for updating the upgrade script to install 44.5.1 — that was essential in my case.
                Hopefully this helps anyone else who finds that upgrading only to 44.5.0 doesn’t solve the issue.

                1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 0
                • S
                  sdetweil @papinist
                  last edited by

                  @papinist anyone using the scripts will not even know!! except for the message displayed

                  Sam

                  How to add modules

                  learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

                  1 Reply Last reply
                  Reply Quote 0
                  • K
                    knightyomega
                    last edited by

                    Can confirm this on a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B (Debian 12, arm64, Wayland/labwc, pm2) after git pull && node --run install-mm to 2.38.0 (Electron 44.4.5). The server and all modules started fine, but the mirror never displayed. In a plain test BrowserWindow loading localhost:8080, the renderer crashed about 16 seconds after the page loaded. There was nothing in dmesg (no OOM or segfault), and it happened with and without --disable-gpu.

                    Pinning Electron 42.5.2 worked as a stopgap. I then tried 44.5.1 (npm install --no-save electron@44.5.1) as papinist suggested, and it works on my Pi 3 too, including after a reboot. So 44.5.1 looks like the fix for this crash. Thanks wimThoelke, papinist and Sam.

                    R 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 1
                    • R
                      rts58 @knightyomega
                      last edited by

                      I also am not seeing any display after the upgrade. I used @sdetweil latest upgrade script. I tried the upgrade of electron to 44.5.1, but still no luck. I checked the log and saw:

                      1|mm       | /MagicMirror/node_modules/electron/dist/electron exited with signal SIGINT
                      1|mm       | [2026:1007/105447.154822:ERROR:ui/base/x/x11_display_util.cc:341] XRandR returned no displays; falling back to root window
                      1|mm       | [2189:1007/105447.262969:ERROR:ui/gfx/x/connection.cc:66] X connection error received.
                      1|mm       | [2026-10-07 10:57:18.680] [WARN]  [ip_access_control] IP 192.168.1.1 is not allowed to access the mirror
                      
                      S 1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • S
                        sdetweil @rts58
                        last edited by sdetweil

                        @rts58 how are you starting MM?

                        pm2, manually, some other script?

                        lets do this
                        oops, one more question

                        file $(which bash)
                        

                        should say 64, not 32

                        file $(which bash)
                        /usr/bin/bash: ELF 64-bit
                        

                        if pm2,
                        pm2 stop all

                        cd ~/MagicMirror 
                        ps -ef | grep way | grep -v grep 
                        

                        if any response , then running wayland

                        then do

                        grep version node_modules/electron/package.json
                        

                        should show

                        grep version node_modules/electron/package.json
                          "version": "44.5.1",
                            "abi_version",
                        

                        if so, the do
                        is the response on grep way was something

                        npm start 
                        

                        else if grep way was empty

                        npm run start:x11
                        

                        please advise

                        Sam

                        How to add modules

                        learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

                        R 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 0
                        • R
                          rts58 @sdetweil
                          last edited by

                          @sdetweil
                          here is the terminal, still blank screen.

                          [/home/rpi] $ cd ~/MagicMirror 
                          ps -ef | grep way | grep -v grep
                          
                          [/home/rpi/MagicMirror] $ grep version node_modules/electron/package.json
                            "version": "44.4.5",
                              "abi_version",
                          
                          [/home/rpi/MagicMirror] $ npm run start:x11
                          
                          > magicmirror@2.38.0 start:x11
                          > DISPLAY="${DISPLAY:=:0}" ./node_modules/.bin/electron js/electron.js
                          
                          [2026-10-07 11:25:36.584] [LOG]   [app] Starting MagicMirror: v2.38.0
                          [2026-10-07 11:25:36.619] [LOG]   [utils] Loading config ...
                          [2026-10-07 11:25:36.645] [INFO]  [utils] Checking config file /home/rpi/MagicMirror/config/config.js 
                          
                           file $(which bash)
                          /usr/bin/bash: ELF 64-bit LSB pie executable, ARM aarch64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked, interpreter /lib/ld-linux-aarch64.so.1, BuildID[sha1]=bea6a154d9a9158114ee0a2a439045596615df14, for GNU/Linux 3.7.0, stripped
                          

                          I won’t be able to check till later, thanks for your help.

                          S 1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • S
                            sdetweil @rts58
                            last edited by

                            @rts58 said:

                            “version”: “44.4.5”,

                            that is the broken electron

                            cd ~/MagicMirror
                            npm install electron@44.5.1
                            

                            then restart

                            I want to see the MagicMirror/installers/upgrade.log
                            email to the same userid as here at gmail
                            I had a bug in upgrade before Monday afternoon…

                            Sam

                            How to add modules

                            learning how to use browser developers window for css changes

                            1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 1
                            • R
                              rts58
                              last edited by

                              I’m not sure why I didn’t have the correct electron, after the upgrade didn’t worked i did the manual install, (but I may not have been in the MagicMirror directory). MM is now up and working. I’ll send the log, although it says

                              npm install completed - Wed Oct  7 09:53:32 EDT 2026 on base
                              installing electron @ 44.5.1 on 2.38.0
                              
                              added 19 packages, and changed 1 package in 15s
                              

                              Thanks as always!!!

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 0

                              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                              Register Login
                              • 1 / 1
                              • First post
                                Last post
                              Enjoying MagicMirror? Please consider a donation!
                              MagicMirror created by Michael Teeuw.
                              Forum managed by Sam, technical setup by Karsten.
                              This forum is using NodeBB as its core | Contributors
                              Contact | Privacy Policy