MagicMirror² v2.8.0 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.

ELIFECYCLE error after fresh install

• Hi,

I encountered a problem that was already mentioned in this post:
    https://forum.magicmirror.builders/topic/7183/mm-not-loading-on-startup-or-manually
    But because this thread is unsolved and the last answer is more than 11 Months old I would like to try asking again for answers in this thread.

I am currently setting my RasPi 3 B up from start.
    I downloaded the newest Raspbian with Desktop, installed and updated it and ran the one-line-command provided on the homepage.
    While installing I got 29 “vulnerabilities” which I solved with this “npm audit” and the recommended commands (somehow it threw these vulnerabilities stuff two times and as far as i understand the audit command only solved the vulnerabilities mentioned the second time).
    But now when trying to start the MagicMirror it tells me, there is an ELIFECYCLE error, probably not a problem with npm (see command prompt output).

pi@raspberrypi:~/MagicMirror $ DISPLAY=:0 npm start

> magicmirror@2.7.1 start /home/pi/MagicMirror
    > sh run-start.sh

run-start.sh: 1: run-start.sh: ����������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������������: not found
    npm ERR! file sh
    npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
    npm ERR! errno ENOENT
    npm ERR! syscall spawn
    npm ERR! magicmirror@2.7.1 start: `sh run-start.sh`
    npm ERR! spawn ENOENT
    npm ERR! 
    npm ERR! Failed at the magicmirror@2.7.1 start script.
    npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
    npm ERR!     /home/pi/.npm/_logs/2019-04-14T07_20_07_609Z-debug.log

As you might notice there is a log created, but somehow the files in this directory change every few seconds so I didn’t manage to attach it. If you could tell me how to get the log I’ll be happy to upload it in this thread!

I already tried running “DISPLAY:=0 npm start” and “npm start” all with the same result. Furthermore I also tried “npm rebuild” without success.

I am very thankful for every answer and appreciate your effort!

Kind regards,

MrKnight230

• I have the same error from a previously working MagicMirror after rebooting it. I did not change any code, just rebooted the RPi.

• @MrKnight230 can u show the output of npm -v

• @Zwirbel if you go the MagicMirror folder and do a pm2 stop, then npm start what happens?

• @sdetweil The Version is 6.4.1

• @MrKnight230 thx… are u doing this over vnc? also the MM has to be running in graphical mode, unless u are running server only… (DISPLAY 0 will not exist if in VNC or text mode)

• @sdetweil
    The RasPi is connected via HDMI to a Display and I’m using VNC to configure it. I had a previous install where everything worked with pm2 and manually using the command “npm start”.

• @MrKnight230 sorry, do not know… there were lots of code changes by modules MM uses and have no control over.

I cannot recreate this over ssh…

my npm is version 6.9.0

you might try

npm install -g npm

• @sdetweil Thanks for the suggestion, it successfully installed version 6.9.0 but sadly didn’t solve or even change anything about the problem.

• @MrKnight230 ok, i can only think that the vnc start is not working now…