MagicMirror² v2.4.1 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.
Please read the release notes carefully since this update requires adjustments to your Raspberry Pi configuration!

Complete remote administration using SSH

• Hi all,

Like everybody else here, I’ve started tinkering with default modules and the more I discover modules, the more I want them displayed but hey life is made of choices right ?

Now , I’ve got everything working locally (ie on the RPI3) and I wanted to just stick it behind the mirror and administer it remotely (read from a different country altogether)

I know how to ssh, nano a config file etc but the whole electron node.js is kinda new to me. I get the concept but I still have a question.

When I npm start locally (read from the RPI itself) things are fine, the monitor displays the “mirror” and I can access that same page from another computer/iphone using it’s web address.

Now if I npm start from SSH, it won’t work (because of no X11 running at the time ?)

Please point me in the right direction so I can move on with my life, this thing starts to drive me crazy.

Long read but hopefully will be helpful to others.

Thanks for reading this far 🙂

M.

• For now - VNC it is 🙂

• Core Contributors

Hi, check the display enviroment variable in your terminal session.

DISPLAY=:0 nohup npm start &

Or other way you can use pm2.

• Thanks for the reply

• From the github 🙂 I guess RTFM still works

Important: npm start does not work via SSH, use DISPLAY=:0 nohup npm start & instead. This starts the mirror on the remote display.