MagicMirror² v2.4.1 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.
Please read the release notes carefully since this update requires adjustments to your Raspberry Pi configuration!

Unable to get any modules working

• I did the basic install:

curl -sL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/MichMich/MagicMirror/master/installers/raspberry.sh | bash

Since I was able to start MagicMirror with out issues, I figured I’d try to add some modules. I started with the monthly calendar one figuring that would be easy:

cd ~/MagicMirror/modules
    git clone https://github.com/KirAsh4/calendar_monthly/

Modified my config/config.js:

modules: [
                    {
                            module: "calendar_monthly",
                            position: "bottom_left",
                            config: {
                            }
                    }
                    {
                            module: "alert",
                    },

And now when I try to start it I get:

pi@magicmirror:~/MagicMirror $ npm start

> magicmirror@2.1.1 start /home/pi/MagicMirror
    > sh run-start.sh

Starting MagicMirror: v2.1.1
    Loading config ...
    WARNING! Could not validate config file. Please correct syntax errors. Starting with default configuration.
    Loading module helpers ...
    Initializing new module helper ...
    Module helper loaded: updatenotification
    No helper found for module: helloworld.
    All module helpers loaded.
    Starting server on port 8080 ... 
    Starting server op port 8080 ... 
    Server started ...
    Connecting socket for: updatenotification
    Sockets connected & modules started ...
    Launching application.

What am I doing wrong? I thought there might be an issue with the module, so I’ve tried others, but I continue to get the same thing. It only works when I use the default config.js file.

• Module Developer

@tomb7 said in Unable to get any modules working:

What am I doing wrong?

The config entry should look like this. Look at your config sample. Module entries start with { and end with }, . Yes, the comma is included and necessary.

{
                            module: "calendar_monthly",
                            position: "bottom_left",
                            config: {
                            }
                    },
                    {
                            module: "alert",
                    },

• @Mykle1 said in Unable to get any modules working:

The config entry should look like this. Look at your config sample. Module entries start with { and end with }, . Yes, the comma is included and necessary.

I’ve spent way too long on this (longer than I’m willing to admit) and my problem is a missing comma?! 😕

Thanks for the help!

• Module Developer

@tomb7 said in Unable to get any modules working:

I’ve spent way too long on this (longer than I’m willing to admit) and my problem is a missing comma?!

We’ve all been there. Don’t sweat it. That’s one thing you won’t forget again, right? Enjoy your mirror.

• You know, I did the same thing. Drove me NUTS for days trying to figure out what I did. My problem was the parentheses ’ from copy/pasted scripts and text file was different than the one entered via putty or the console. One of the tools I found invaluable was a code validator I found online

http://esprima.org/demo/validate.html

Try your MM Script in there to troubleshoot. Not sure if it will work with everything, but it worked for mine. I’ve done 5 mirrors with it.

Good Luck!