MagicMirror² v2.4.1 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.
Please read the release notes carefully since this update requires adjustments to your Raspberry Pi configuration!

Need Guidence, Or Someone To Make A Module For Me, Uses GPIO

• Hello All!

My name is Anthony, AKA Spicy Jelly. I am a High School Student in the US, with little knowledge in Python, C+, and JavaScript. My idea for a module was displaying a local image as a background. I know this has already been done, but I wanted to put my own twist on it. My plan was to use a Piezo element, as a input for vibrations, from me knocking on the wall, using the RPi’s GPIO pins. When the element detected a vibration input, the local image background would fade, and the mirror would reappear. I would want the other elements to be displayed when both background, and mirror.

~ I have no clue where to start, so if someone would be interested in making this for me, or guiding me in making it, it would be greatly appreciated

• Feel free to contact me

Thank you in advance

-Anthony

• @SpicyCoding It’s not nearly as much fun if someone makes it for you.

This might get you started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAl340SCAY

Once you can successfully detect a vibration/knock in your Python script, it should be pretty easy to use that code in a node_helper.js to send messages to an image module.

• @SpicyCoding

For the coding part, you might consider using CSS to create your transparency:

.module .knockknock {
      background: url("img_tree.jpg") no-repeat fixed center;
      opacity: 1.0;
    }

Then for each knock, it could then increment opacity by 0.1. If you wanted to keep the other modules visible, you can position a separate element over the other modules. You could then have a timer running that after X amount of time the opacity resets to 1.0. (Or you can increment the opacity of the body and reset the opacity of all child elements/modules to 1.0.)

You can also get fancier and use CSS animations to create transitions between each step, and to make it reappear, but best to get a proof-of-concept first.

• Maybe you saw this thread. I made a module for duedahlb that shows a full size image when the module MMM-Button registers a button press. I think that could be a good start to study and maybe reverse engineer some parts from both modules.