MagicMirror² v2.5.0 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.

npm start and black screen

• Here is the log:

Sockets connected & modules started ...
    Whoops! There was an uncaught exception...
    { Error: listen EADDRINUSE 0.0.0.0:8080
        at Object.exports._errnoException (util.js:1026:11)
        at exports._exceptionWithHostPort (util.js:1049:20)
        at Server._listen2 (net.js:1253:14)
        at listen (net.js:1289:10)
        at net.js:1399:9
        at _combinedTickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:77:11)
        at process._tickCallback (internal/process/next_tick.js:98:9)
        at Module.runMain (module.js:592:11)
        at run (bootstrap_node.js:402:7)
        at startup (bootstrap_node.js:157:9)
      code: 'EADDRINUSE',
      errno: 'EADDRINUSE',
      syscall: 'listen',
      address: '0.0.0.0',
      port: 8080 }
    MagicMirror will not quit, but it might be a good idea to check why this happened. Maybe no internet connection?
    If you think this really is an issue, please open an issue on GitHub: https://github.com/MichMich/MagicMirror/issues
    Launching application.
    Shutting down server...

How to fix this?

Note : Use “pm2 start mm” is able to run mm.

• @dexterbeng
    I found the problem issue https://forum.magicmirror.builders/topic/2209/error-listen-eaddrinuse-help-plox

So i use pm2 stop mm, then i can use back npm start since no application is using port:8080.

But still, is there anyone can explain to me, why my pm2 start mm is take while to boot up my mm, even i ctrl+q, it will turn mm back very long time or never turn on again?

• @dexterbeng If you have pm2 and the mm script installed, it’s simplest to use pm2 start/stop mm. However, npm start dev is still useful to debug server and client consoles, just don’t forget to first pm2 stop mm as you describe.

• @ninjabreadman
    Ya, agree with that pm2 is the easier way.
    By the way, can I know when you using pm2 to start your mm and you ctrl+q to quit it, how long it takes to auto boot it up again?
    For me, it likes 15 seconds to 30 seconds, and sometimes never turn on again…

• @dexterbeng I would guess 15-30 seconds. pm2 has to detect that the process has terminated and restart. It depends on the polling interval for pm2 (which, as far as I can tell from their docs/issues, is 100ms, and cannot be changed – seems more frequent than I expected).

Why are you killing mm with Ctrl+Q? Better to use pm2 restart mm or even pm2 start mm --watch which will also restart mm after file system changes (you may need to configure which directories to watch).