MagicMirror² v2.13.0 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.

Unix Fortune

• We already have the awesome MMM-Fortune module. Are you aware there’s a “fortune” command in unix/linux? You can install it in your pi like so:

sudo apt install fortune

It was intended to present a little epigram every time you log in to a terminal, but it can also be invoked at the command line.
    Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 1.47.19 PM.png
    I’d be inclined to replace the “Compliments” module with a module that pulls a short unix fortune using this command, updating on a configurable interval.

Any takers? 🙂

• Project Sponsor Module Developer

@spblat said in Unix Fortune:

We already have the awesome MMM-Fortune module.

Thank you for your kind words

Are you aware there’s a “fortune” command in unix/linux?

I was not.

a module that pulls a short unix fortune using this command, updating on a configurable interval

I put something together for you based on your request (and your kind words). User @sdetweil got the data over from the terminal to the module for me. (He’s awesome).

I took the liberty of naming it something unique. UnixFortune wasn’t doing it for me. FortuneUnix was no better but the combination was cool. At least, I think so.

https://github.com/mykle1/MMM-Fortunix

Pass along some help to someone that knows less than you

• Epic! I’ll start playing with this. During my tests I will experiment with the “-s” and “-n” command line flags for adjusting fortune length and propose/submit updates. Thank you for putting this together!

Thank you for putting this together!

Not a big deal. I was looking for something to play with. However, you are welcome. Enjoy the module.

Peace!

Epic! I’ll start playing with this. During my tests I will experiment with the “-s” and “-n” command line flags for adjusting fortune length and propose/submit updates. Thank you for putting this together!

You can just fork the module and do anything you want with it 🙂

• @Mykle1

I found a small bug that causes some issues, at least when running on armbian and starting up via cron . It might be that ‘stock’ armbian isn’t properly setting up the $PATH as X starts. I tested against rasbian and this issue does not appear, and the ‘fix’ to add the full path to fortune (which really should always be done).

node_helper.js (line 20)

• exec(‘fortune -s’, (error, stdout, stderr) => {
    • exec(’/usr/games/fortune -s’, (error, stdout, stderr) => {