MagicMirror² v2.4.1 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.
Please read the release notes carefully since this update requires adjustments to your Raspberry Pi configuration!

Where to buy good two way mirrors ?

• Hi,

I am thinking of building my own magic mirror since at least a year now.
    It does not seem very easy to order a two way mirror on Internet that could be shipped to France for a reasonable price. Does someone have any recommendations about where to buy such mirror for France ?

Thank you

Does

• Admin

Just call a local glazier, was quite easy to get one in the next town 🙂

In the US, we simply go to a glass shop. Same place that would make custom glass sizes for things like windows, tables, even car windshields …

• Admin

That’s what I meant by glazier not sure if it is the correct word, used Google translate for that one 😅

• Same here. Asked two glass shops, both were able to supply it for a decent price.

Stay away from using foils.

• @MichMich Hey Mich, why do you not recommend foils?

• @EoF Lets say the whole project will cost somewhere around €250,- including monitor. The foil will only save you around €25,- while it has a major impact on the end result.

• @MichMich Fair point. In my project however, I am actually making a touch screen “magic mirror”. So I actually chose to go with foil due to it being so thing (still waiting to test to see if touch screen will work through it).

Edit: If I were going for no touch screen, I would for sure go with an acrylic two way mirror.

Personally I wouldn’t use acrylic either. While lighter, over time and with cleaning it will scratch. I prefer glass, even though it would be heavier.

In fact I’m thinking of putting a large (3-4 feet wide) mirror up and use a 24" screen on one side of it. But that’s just a thought at the moment. Still pondering it.

• I used acrylic for my project and it seems to be fine. If you’re gentle with your mirror, you shouldn’t have to worry about scratches too much. I got my acrylic 2 way mirror from http://www.twowaymirrors.com

They also sell glass and they have a “special” glass for the smart mirror project. They ship internationally too since they are a US based company.