MagicMirror² v2.4.1 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.
Please read the release notes carefully since this update requires adjustments to your Raspberry Pi configuration!

How to use "require" in a module?

• I’m trying to make my first module. A pretty simple one, I just want to display the IP address of my Raspberry Pi. (I’m not assigning it a static addr, so if it changes I’d like to know the new addr to remote into)

A quick google turned up some code for querying for your local IP address. However, it’s not working. I’m getting “Uncaught ReferenceError: require is not defined”. Am I missing something silly here? (Yes, I know the actual ip-getting code is commented out, I’ll bring it back once I can get the reference to os working)

Here’s the code:

var os = require("os");
    Module.register("my_ip", {

// Default module config.
    	defaults: {
    	},

// Override dom generator.
    	getDom: function () {
    	    var ip = location.host;

/*
    	    var ifaces = os.networkInterfaces();

Object.keys(ifaces).forEach(function (ifname) {
    	        var alias = 0;

ifaces[ifname].forEach(function (iface) {
    	            if ('IPv4' !== iface.family || iface.internal !== false) {
    	                // skip over internal (i.e. 127.0.0.1) and non-ipv4 addresses
    	                return;
    	            }

if (alias >= 1) {
    	                // this single interface has multiple ipv4 addresses
    	                console.log(ifname + ':' + alias, iface.address);
                        ip = iface.address;
    	            } else {
    	                // this interface has only one ipv4 adress
    	                console.log(ifname, iface.address);
                        ip = iface.address;
    	            }
    	            ++alias;
    	        });
    	    });
            */

var wrapper = document.createElement("div");
    	    wrapper.innerHTML = ip;
    		return wrapper;
    	},

});

• take a look into the documentation on how to write a module, especially the part with node_helper

• Thanks! I’ve got it working with node_helper now. It seems a bit convoluted though, since my module now sends a socket notification to request the IP, and listens for the socket notification to refresh the local variable and redraw the DOM. Is this actually the correct way to do it?

That’s how the node_helper method works, module sends a request, the node_helper.js script responds.