Random background from local folder

• As request by some, first version of showing random full size background from a local folder.

It will load a photo’s from a photo directory in ~/MagicMirror/modules/MMM-RandomBackground, easiest way is by creating a Windows share. If somebody needs help with that let me know.

This still has a lot of improvements, I will update the readme with future implementations and a list of issues. If you see any please let me know.

• @Ultimatum22
    many thanks for your efforts. I was looking and waiting for a module like this. I tried it and it works nearly as expected, whenever I would prefer the possibility to load the images from an external source. Maybe in the future you are able to implement this.

• Your welcome, good to hear it was what you are looking for. What do you mean with external source, like an usb stick? That isn’t that hard to implement. I am working on supporting multiple folders to read photo’s from, support for external source is then also done.

• @Ultimatum22
    No, not a USB storage. I mean a NAS, a cloud resourse, any SMB share.

• i can only get this to work in the full screen locations. can this be placed in any other locations?

i would also second the network share for the photo location.

as a note to others you have to create a folder in ~/MagicMirror/modules/MMM-RandomBackground called photos and place your photo’s in there.

• Hi, i have some warnings when I try to install this module. Can someone give me a hint what to do?

thx,
    docmucki

pi@raspberrypi:~/MagicMirror/modules $ git clone https://github.com/Ultimatum22/MMM-RandomBackground.git
    Klone nach 'MMM-RandomBackground'...
    remote: Counting objects: 81, done.
    remote: Total 81 (delta 0), reused 0 (delta 0), pack-reused 81
    Entpacke Objekte: 100% (81/81), Fertig.
    Prüfe Konnektivität... Fertig.
    pi@raspberrypi:~/MagicMirror/modules $ npm install
    npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/MagicMirror/modules/package.json'
    npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/MagicMirror/modules/node_modules/node_helper/package.json'
    npm WARN modules No description
    npm WARN modules No repository field.
    npm WARN modules No README data
    npm WARN modules No license field.

• @docmucki

I suspect you need to execute

npm install

From ~/MagicMirror/modules/MMM-RandomBackground rather than ~/MagicMirror/modules.

Try:

cd MMM-RandomBackground
    npm install

• @in_a_days
    Thank you. That was the case.

• Changing the updateInterval seems to have no effect. Always feels like 3 seconds.

• it uses milliseconds. mine is set at 900000 which is 15 minutes.

Looks like your connection to MagicMirror Forum was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.