MagicMirror Forum
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Unsolved
    • Solved
    • MagicMirror² Repository
    • Documentation
    • 3rd-Party-Modules
    • Donate
    • Discord
    • Register
    • Login
    A New Chapter for MagicMirror: The Community Takes the Lead
    Read the statement by Michael Teeuw here.

    Help needed simple API based module

    Scheduled Pinned Locked Moved Development
    19 Posts 4 Posters 13.6k Views 4 Watching
    Loading More Posts
    • Oldest to Newest
    • Newest to Oldest
    • Most Votes
    Reply
    • Reply as topic
    Log in to reply
    This topic has been deleted. Only users with topic management privileges can see it.
    • W
      washichi @yawns
      last edited by washichi

      @yawns thank you!
      the module shows now this.message and refreshes it with the schedule.
      however I am still doing something wrong in my request:

      	updateISS: function() {
      		var url = this.config.apiBase;
      		var self = this;
      		var opennotifyRequest = new XMLHttpRequest();
      		opennotifyRequest.open("GET", url, true);
      		this.message = "in updateISS";
      		opennotifyRequest.onreadystatechange = function() {
      		self.message = "request status: "+ to.String(this.status); // not displayed
      		if (this.readyState === 4) {
      			if (this.status === 200) {
      				var resp = JSON.parse(this.response);
      				self.latitude = resp.iss_position.latitude;
      				self.longitude = resp.iss_position.longitude;
      				self.timestamp = resp.timestamp;
      				self.message = resp.message;
      				self.message = "dit gebeurt niet";
      			}
      		}
      		};
      	opennotifyRequest.send();
      	self.updateDom();
      	}
      

      I can’t set message in that function, for example line 86. I use self/this wrong, or the function isn’t executing. but the code continous because when I set the message before or after that function it gets displayed.

      yawnsY 1 Reply Last reply
      Reply Quote 0
      • yawnsY
        yawns Moderator @washichi
        last edited by

        @washichi
        hm. Did you try to output latitude and longitude as well in getDom to see if this is working?

        W 1 Reply Last reply
        Reply Quote 0
        • W
          washichi @yawns
          last edited by

          @yawns No I didn’t, but that should be exactly the same thing.
          If I hardcode the (any) variable in “issRequest.onreadystatechange = function() {”
          then it just doesn’t display, so it looks like it isn’t going in that function.
          but if I hardcode the (any) variable after that function It displays.

          So I can display the variable (message), but the variable doesn’t get filled with the request.

          1 Reply Last reply
          Reply Quote 0
          • yawnsY
            yawns Moderator
            last edited by

            Simple way to test if it entering the function:

            Log.error("function entered");

            Press F12 in browser, check for console output and refresh the website. If the function is entered you will see “function entered” in the console.

            1 Reply Last reply
            Reply Quote 0
            • W
              washichi
              last edited by

              thank you! It’s now working :)
              I thought that my scheduleupdate was working but it didn’t (only 2 times )
              with the Log function I could find the problem easy .

              1 Reply Last reply
              Reply Quote 1
              • yawnsY
                yawns Moderator
                last edited by

                great. Now tidy up your code ;) and present your module in modules showcase

                ooom416354O 1 Reply Last reply
                Reply Quote 2
                • ooom416354O
                  ooom416354 @yawns
                  last edited by

                  @washichi @yawns this is great work. I am wondering, would this completed code be kind of a base for making other API calls which return data in JSON format?

                  W cowboysdudeC 2 Replies Last reply
                  Reply Quote 1
                  • W
                    washichi @ooom416354
                    last edited by

                    @ooom416354 Yes, but other modules are also that.
                    I used the default module “weatherforecast” it is an simple api based module that gets the data and displays it in a table.

                    I’m now trying to add a map, and then display the ISS current position on that, but implementing this in a module is a lot harder then normal javascript :p.

                    ooom416354O 1 Reply Last reply
                    Reply Quote 0
                    • yawnsY
                      yawns Moderator
                      last edited by

                      @ooom416354
                      Yes, kind of. At least with JSON calls without additional headers. The you need to use request and a node_helper

                      1 Reply Last reply
                      Reply Quote 0
                      • ooom416354O
                        ooom416354 @washichi
                        last edited by

                        @washichi Yea, I am still not even sure how to translate the returned JSON to an actual visual table on the mirror. Not very good at this lol

                        cowboysdudeC 1 Reply Last reply
                        Reply Quote 1
                        • cowboysdudeC
                          cowboysdude Module Developer @ooom416354
                          last edited by

                          @ooom416354 It could be yes ;)

                          1 Reply Last reply
                          Reply Quote 0
                          • cowboysdudeC
                            cowboysdude Module Developer @ooom416354
                            last edited by

                            @ooom416354 said in Help needed simple API based module:

                            @washichi Yea, I am still not even sure how to translate the returned JSON to an actual visual table on the mirror. Not very good at this lol

                            Me either but won’t stop me from trying :)

                            ooom416354O 1 Reply Last reply
                            Reply Quote 0
                            • ooom416354O
                              ooom416354 @cowboysdude
                              last edited by

                              @cowboysdude yup I agree with that!

                              1 Reply Last reply
                              Reply Quote 1

                              Hello! It looks like you're interested in this conversation, but you don't have an account yet.

                              Getting fed up of having to scroll through the same posts each visit? When you register for an account, you'll always come back to exactly where you were before, and choose to be notified of new replies (either via email, or push notification). You'll also be able to save bookmarks and upvote posts to show your appreciation to other community members.

                              With your input, this post could be even better 💗

                              Register Login
                              • 1 / 1
                              • First post
                                Last post
                              Enjoying MagicMirror? Please consider a donation!
                              MagicMirror created by Michael Teeuw.
                              Forum managed by Sam, technical setup by Karsten.
                              This forum is using NodeBB as its core | Contributors
                              Contact | Privacy Policy