MagicMirror² v2.8.0 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.

Config.js file Syntax

• Project Sponsor Module Developer

@bhepler said in Config.js file Syntax:

@amosh83 - Well, progress. You have a config.js file in the right place and it’s passing the syntax checks.

Maybe I should have paid more attention while reading. I see now that I asked something that you had already established. My bad.

I am extremely curious to see how MM can report "Please create a config file. See README for more information. If you get this message while your config file is already created, your config file probably contains an error." when there is a working config in the proper directory.

• @amosh83 Did you post the exact config.js file. If so you’re missing a “/” on the first line.

• @letsirk YES!!!
    I MADE IT!!! turns out that all I was missing was that “/”, are you kidding me??? ahahah

I’m so thankful to ALL of you, I’ve never touched a Terminal in my life and I managed to do this with manual installation all thanks to you geniuses!!!
    Thank you
    @Mykle1 @bhepler @letsirk

@amosh83 said in Config.js file Syntax:

all I was missing was that “/”,

Ahh, you missed when you copied and pasted. That’s fairly common.

are you kidding me???

Now where have I heard this before? Oh yeah, I said it!

Enjoy your mirror

• I’m having this exact problem, but I’ve used a linter to check for errors and there are none, and my file is in /var/www/html/MagicMirror/config/config.js, I have no idea what I’m doing wrong!

@jade said in Config.js file Syntax:

my file is in /var/www/html/MagicMirror/config/config.js,

Your installation of MM belongs as follows, and so the path to your config.js file

pi@raspberry ~/MagicMirror/config/config.js

Then we can work on your config.js if need be

@Mykle1 not necessarily, you can install the mirror in every directory you like

• @strawberry-3.141 … except for directories with different read/write permissions. Not a linux expert, but I guess this includes /var/ in its default status!?

I was referring to this forums very own “Complete Setup Tutorial.” Specifically, this:
    https://forum.magicmirror.builders/topic/236/complete-setup-tutorial/6

I guess I shouldn’t assume that everyone follows the installation procedure.

• @Mykle1 said in Config.js file Syntax:

Your installation of MM belongs as follows, and so the path to your config.js file

pi@raspberry ~/MagicMirror/config/config.js

When I first started using Linux I was taught the very bad habit of switching to the root user and doing everything as root, so I moved the file into where it needs to be in /home/pi but I still have the same problem

var config = {
        port: 8080,
        ipWhitelist: [],
        language: "en",
        timeFormat: 24,
        units: "metric",
        modules: [
            {
                module: "clock",
                position: "top_left"
            },
            {
                module: "calendar",
                header: "CWG  Pi",
                position: "top_left",
                config: {
                    calendars: [
                        {
                            symbol: "calendar-check-o ",
                            url: "https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/cwgpi2017%40gmail.com/private-b287e4ebe0e8f5d66665e0c83f9e3fa0/basic.ics"
                        }
                    ]
                }
            },
            {
                module: "compliments",
                position: "lower_third",
                updateInterval: 3600000,
                    compliments: {
                        morning: [
                            "Valar Morghulis",
                            "Valar Dohaeris",
                            "When You Play The Game Of Thrones You Win Or You Die",
                            "Where Is The God Of Tits And Wine?"
                        ],
                        afternoon: [
                            "Sometimes, Those With The Most Power Have The Least Grace",
                            "A Mind Needs Books Like A Sword Needs A Whetstone",
                            "Chaos Isn't A Pit, Chaos Is A Ladder",
                            "A Lion Doesn't Concern Himself With The Opinions Of Sheep"
                        ],
                        evening: [
                            "The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors",
                            "Night Gathers And Now My Watch Begins",
                            "Winter Is Coming",
                            "Power Resides Where Men Believe It Resides. It's A Trick, A Shadow On The Wall, And A Very Small Man Can Cast A Very Large Shadow"
                        ]
                    }
                }
            },
            {
                module: "currentweather",
                position: "top_right",
                    locationID: "2652381",  //ID from http://www.openweathermap.org/help/city_list.txt
                    appid: "39ab36a3fa513354fbe406263f175c07"
                }
            }
        ]
    };

Everything is ok according to jslint but something has got to be not working. Incidentally if I use the sample file and don’t change anything I have the same problem.