MagicMirror² v2.4.1 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.
Please read the release notes carefully since this update requires adjustments to your Raspberry Pi configuration!

Errors trying to run MM on Pi3

• Help! I’m a complete noob trying to go through the installation tutorial. https://forum.magicmirror.builders/topic/236/complete-setup-tutorial/6 but it’s complaining about node install.js I tried updating npm but still get this:

magicmirror@2.1.3 start /home/pi/MagicMirror
    sh run-start.sh

run-start.sh: 4: run-start.sh: electron: not found
    npm ERR! file sh
    npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
    npm ERR! errno ENOENT
    npm ERR! syscall spawn
    npm ERR! magicmirror@2.1.3 start: sh run-start.sh
    npm ERR! spawn ENOENT
    npm ERR!
    npm ERR! Failed at the magicmirror@2.1.3 start script.
    npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
    npm ERR! /home/pi/.npm/_logs/2018-01-01T01_22_06_331Z-debug.log

Any suggestions in extremely plain English very welcome. Thanks and happy New Year.

• @Esinem It seems that you do not have Electron installed on your Pi. If you install electron, it should overcome that error.

First, go to your home directory: cd ~
    Then install electron: npm install electron@1.4.15
    Once that is complete, try starting the mirror again.

Good luck!

NOTE: This won’t work (see below). Instead cd ~/MagicMirror.

• Thanks but it didn’t seem to work 😞 I tried what you said and then continued with the steps in the tutorial but as you can see it failed. I tried running it again but more errors.

I’m off to bang my head on a wall! 🙂 I’m quite prepared to believe I’m doing something idiotic as I’m a total Pi/Raspbrian/Python virgin.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ magicmirror@2.1.3 start /home/pi/MagicMirror
    bash: magicmirror@2.1.3: command not found
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd MagicMirror/config
    pi@raspberrypi:~/MagicMirror/config $ cp config.js.sample config.js
    pi@raspberrypi:~/MagicMirror/config $ cd $HOME/MagicMirror
    pi@raspberrypi:~/MagicMirror $ npm start

magicmirror@2.1.3 start /home/pi/MagicMirror
    sh run-start.sh

run-start.sh: 4: run-start.sh: electron: not found
    npm ERR! file sh
    npm ERR! code ELIFECYCLE
    npm ERR! errno ENOENT
    npm ERR! syscall spawn
    npm ERR! magicmirror@2.1.3 start: sh run-start.sh
    npm ERR! spawn ENOENT
    npm ERR!
    npm ERR! Failed at the magicmirror@2.1.3 start script.
    npm ERR! This is probably not a problem with npm. There is likely additional logging output above.

npm ERR! A complete log of this run can be found in:
    npm ERR! /home/pi/.npm/_logs/2018-01-01T17_47_18_127Z-debug.log
    pi@raspberrypi:~/MagicMirror $ cd ~
    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ npm install electron@1.4.15

electron@1.4.15 postinstall /home/pi/node_modules/electron
    node install.js

npm WARN saveError ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/package.json’
    npm WARN enoent ENOENT: no such file or directory, open '/home/pi/package.json’
    npm WARN pi No description
    npm WARN pi No repository field.
    npm WARN pi No README data
    npm WARN pi No license field.

• electron@1.4.15
      updated 1 package in 42.487s
      pi@raspberrypi:~ $

• @Esinem you installed it in /home/pi instead of /home/pi/MagicMirror

• @strawberry-3.141 Thanks. Isn’t that what I was told to do or am I completely misunderstanding things?

First, go to your home directory: cd ~
    Then install electron: npm install electron@1.4.15

I think I need to study some very basic tutorials before I even try to install stuff!

• @Esinem its a dependency of magicmirror so it should be installed in the magicmirror directory or globally. Try cd ~/MagicMirror and then the install command again

• Aha! Many thanks. We seem to be getting somewhere now but not out of the woods yet. MM loads, which is a result, and I get a black screen with a little drop-down with options like full screen, properties, session info but no data displayed. Something flashed up fast as it loaded which I think indicated it couldn’t find something. Helper module? I’m not sure it’s relevant as I see some modules don’t have helper files

I had errors relating to electron@1.17.10 so tried installing that but no change.

Here’s my screen: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4Qbew2OasrjvqhWH2 Doh! Just figured out the drop down is to do with VNC not MM.

I ran dev and I can see the line with config.js is highlighted. It tested without syntax errors. I appreciate sample stuff needs localising but should the clone of the sample show something or do I need to make any changes to display anything?

• Hurrah!! I found a post dated 3 days ago by Lange which solved it:

npm install --unsafe-perm

Thanks for your input.