MagicMirror² v2.7.0 is available! For more information about this release, check out this topic.

{HowTo} turn on/off your monitor (Time based, PIR/Button, App)

• Hey dude,

sorry for not answering, but i am only rarely here 😞

First i would try to edit the config file:

sudo nano /boot/config.txt

try to uncomment “hdmi_force_hotplug=1” and try to uncomment “config_hdmi_boost=4”

maybe play around with some other settings.
    https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/config-txt/video.md

Rebooting the pi once a day is not the best solution 😕
    But however, if necessary:
    http://www.simsalabim-solutions.net/vademecum/raspberry_pi/setting_up_reboot_cron_job_on_pi

• @cruunnerr Thanks for the reply, apreciate it. I now have a 5050 LED strip wired up with the mosfets.
    working with the pir script (removed the module as you advised others)

what method did you use to run pigpiod deamon on startup. i added this in my crontab, guess that will do unless theres a better way.
    @reboot /usr/local/bin/pigpiod

• @Rec3ptor

If u followed the guide i posted, your PIGPIOD installation path should be “/usr/local/bin/pigpiod”

For autostart when booting u must edit the rc.local. Mine is like this:

pi@MagicMirror:~ $ cat /etc/rc.local
    #!/bin/sh -e
    #
    # rc.local
    #
    # This script is executed at the end of each multiuser runlevel.
    # Make sure that the script will "exit 0" on success or any other
    # value on error.
    #
    # In order to enable or disable this script just change the execution
    # bits.
    #
    # By default this script does nothing.

# Print the IP address
    _IP=$(hostname -I) || true
    if [ "$_IP" ]; then
      printf "My IP address is %s\n" "$_IP"
    fi

iwconfig wlan0 power off &

sleep 5 &

/usr/local/bin/pigpiod

sleep 10 &

/usr/bin/python /home/pi/pir.py &

exit 0

So enter this via ssh:

sudo nano /etc/rc.local

and just put this into the file:

/usr/local/bin/pigpiod

• Project Sponsor Module Developer

@cruunnerr

My nickname for you:

King Cron

👍

• @richland007 This wont be helpful but I will say I had a similar problem a few months back but now it works. Must be some configuration that changed in the mean time on my pi but I dont know what.

• Hello there,

I’m currently planning my project and will integrate PIR sensor + related 2.1 method through HDMI.There is one thing confusing me :

• we talk about HDMI CEC in method 2.1
    • nevertheless, it seems the PIR Sensor module is “only” turning HDMI output off and that is triggering "issues such as “powersaving / no input”.

But is HDMI CEC not allowing us to send a “turn screen off” command to the monitor instead of disabling the rasp. HDMIoutput and relying / hoping on the monitor’s behaviour?

Sorry once more if I mssed the point, but would like to understand before moving forward.

Regards

• @bolish said in {HowTo} turn on/off your monitor (Time based, PIR/Button, App):

But is HDMI CEC not allowing us to send a “turn screen off” command to the monitor instead of disabling the rasp. HDMIoutput and relying / hoping on the monitor’s behaviour?

as I understand it, not many monitors/tv’s provide support for external power off/on commands…

none of my TV’s used for MM support this…

• @sdetweil Maybe you’re right! I didn’t considered that.

But seems possible, correct? By changing the actual commands to the ones defined by the libcec librairy?

• @bolish I do not know… as I said, none of my TVs support ANY commands to turn off/on…

in my MMM-SleepWake module, I use module.hide() to hide everything, leaving a blank screen… for those devices that do not provide external control…

• OK, I will then try myself when I will receive my stuff and let forums knows if working or not.