MagicMirror Forum
    • Recent
    • Tags
    • Unsolved
    • Solved
    • MagicMirror² Repository
    • Documentation
    • 3rd-Party-Modules
    • Donate
    • Discord
    • Register
    • Login
    • Profile
    • Following 0
    • Followers 1
    • Topics 8
    • Posts 42
    • Groups 0
    B Offline
    1. Home
    2. bwente
    3. Posts
    A New Chapter for MagicMirror: The Community Takes the Lead
    Read the statement by Michael Teeuw here.

    Posts

    Recent Best Controversial
    • RE: MMM-Neko — a classic animated cat for your mirror

      @S374n

      There isn’t a separate “always on top” option, but Neko should be configured with:

      position: "fullscreen_above",
      

      If that’s already set, the calendar may have CSS that puts it above Neko. Which calendar module are you using, and do you have any custom CSS for it? That will help me suggest the right adjustment.

      posted in Fun & Games
      B
      bwente
    • RE: Seymour — my modern take on the 3Com Audrey

      Video example of the channel selector in action.

      Seymour Channel Selector.png

      https://cleanshot.com/share/5j6tDZml

      posted in Show your Mirror
      B
      bwente
    • RE: Integrating Stepper Motors with MagicMirror for Interactive Features

      I did something similar with LEDs. I chose to add a separate WLED controller instead of trying to control the LEDs directly from the Pi. The Pi just tells WLED what state or effect it wants, and the WLED board handles the actual timing and LED control. It keeps the responsibilities separate and avoids adding more real-time work to the Pi.

      posted in Hardware
      B
      bwente
    • RE: Wyze doorbell module

      @plainbroke I used this module for a while https://github.com/shbatm/MMM-RTSPStream I then realized I only really needed timestamp images.

      I use a Reolink doorbell camera now, but when I did use a Wyze camera I had to find a "DFANG " firmware.

      posted in Requests
      B
      bwente
    • RE: Wyze doorbell module

      @plainbroke Depending on the camera you might have to update or use a different firmware that supports RTSP for live streams.

      Do you use Home Assistant now? Or are you looking to display feed or image directly on your mirror?

      posted in Requests
      B
      bwente
    • RE: MMM-Neko — a classic animated cat for your mirror

      @plainbroke Sure. Most modules can be run at the same time with different configs. I run the weather module with two configs at once.

      Don’t expect them to chase each other. They will be independent. I would start them in to different locations, to help prevent them from overlapping.

      {
        module: "MMM-Neko",
        position: "fullscreen_above",
        config: {
          character: "cat",
          startPosition: { x: 0.3, y: 0.7 }
        }
      },
      {
        module: "MMM-Neko",
        position: "fullscreen_above",
        config: {
          character: "dog",
          startPosition: { x: 0.7, y: 0.7 }
        }
      },
      
      posted in Fun & Games
      B
      bwente
    • RE: MMM-Neko — a classic animated cat for your mirror

      @KristjanESPERANTO Only so many hours in the day. :)

      posted in Fun & Games
      B
      bwente
    • MMM-Neko — a classic animated cat for your mirror

      Years ago, I had Neko running on my Macintosh SE. Now it lives on my MagicMirror.

      Neko wanders around, pauses to scratch, and takes naps. It works without a mouse or touchscreen, but you can optionally have it walk toward a touch target.

      Neko-clip.gif

      A few features:

      • Transparent, click-through overlay—other modules remain usable.
      • Four sprite sizes, from 32 × 32 to 128 × 128 pixels.
      • Respects reduced-motion settings.
      • Notifications to show, hide, pause, resume, change behavior, or send Neko to a named mirror region.
      • Supports MagicMirror’s normal hide/show behavior, so other modules can hide it when needed.

      Basic configuration:

      {
        module: "MMM-Neko",
        position: "fullscreen_above",
        config: {
          mode: "wander",
          scale: 2
        }
      }
      

      Code, installation instructions, and configuration options:
      https://github.com/bwente/MMM-Neko
      Feedback and reports from other setups would be appreciated!

      posted in Fun & Games
      B
      bwente
    • RE: Seymour — my modern take on the 3Com Audrey

      I replaced the default clock with a Literary Clock.

      CleanShot 2026-09-15 at 9.57.14 PM@2x.jpeg

      posted in Show your Mirror
      B
      bwente
    • RE: please help me out!

      @rmonkey I wonder what the percentage is? I using MM to power by desktop internet appliance. My next upgrade will be a new enclosure.

      posted in Hardware
      B
      bwente
    • RE: MMM-PublicTransportHub

      @kristjanesperanto I got my first real alert from MMM-PublicTransportHub

      Toast Alert
      CleanShot 2026-09-08 at 09.42.44@2x.jpeg

      Message Center
      CleanShot 2026-09-08 at 09.38.16@2x.jpeg

      The toast immediately got my attention, but if I hadn’t been standing in front of the mirror at that moment, I would have missed it. That’s one of the reasons I like using MessageCenter, the alert remains available instead of disappearing completely.

      Thanks again for adding support.

      posted in Transport
      B
      bwente
    • MMM-WorldClockMap – world clocks with a day/night map

      I am sharing a new MagicMirror² module called MMM-WorldClockMap.

      I originally built it for my own mirror and my particular needs. I have contacts in places such as Stockholm and Tokyo, and I wanted an easy way to see when people might be awake and around without calculating time differences.

      image.jpeg

      The module includes:

      • Multiple configurable time zones
      • An optional world map with a live day/night overlay
      • Ambient daytime and nighttime tile colors
      • Digital or analog clocks
      • Large, compact, and line layouts
      • Localized dates and labels
      • Optional time differences, seconds, and sunrise/sunset times
      • Offline map operation after installation

      I optimized the presentation for my own mirror, but tried to make the layouts flexible enough for an ordinary MagicMirror installation as well. I hope someone else finds it useful.

      Repository, screenshots, installation instructions, and configuration options:

      https://github.com/bwente/MMM-WorldClockMap

      Feedback and testing on different mirror sizes and orientations are welcome.

      posted in Utilities
      B
      bwente
    • RE: MMM-MessageCenter — a unified inbox for MagicMirror notifications

      @sdetweil Thanks! I tried using the editor in MMM-Remote-Control years ago and broke it, so I just used nano since.

      The settings are now grouped into sections. Choices such as display, urgency, and retention are dropdowns.

      Thanks for pointing me toward the custom layout, it makes a fairly large configuration much more approachable.

      One unrelated thing I noticed while testing, my config did not have an explicit language setting because it was using the normal English default. After saving through MMM-Config, the language changed to Afrikaans, which appears to be the first item in the dropdown.

      posted in Showcase
      B
      bwente
    • RE: MMM-MessageCenter — a unified inbox for MagicMirror notifications

      A quick MMM-MessageCenter update: version 0.5.0 is now available.

      The big change is that MessageCenter can now collect SHOW_ALERT and SHOW_NOTIFICATION events from other MagicMirror modules automatically. Module authors generally shouldn’t need to add MessageCenter-specific support.

      For richer integrations, there is also a standard message API with stable IDs, urgency, expiration, updates, and active-message synchronization. Enhanced integrations are now handled through small, independent adapters; the current examples include the standard Weather module, MMM-Remote-Control, and MMM-PublicTransportHub.

      A special thanks to Kristjan ESPERANTO for adding service-alert notifications to MMM-PublicTransportHub and helping work through the integration.

      posted in Showcase
      B
      bwente
    • RE: MMM-PublicTransportHub

      I opened a feature request for MMM-PublicTransportHub to optionally broadcast PTH_SERVICE_ALERT notifications.

      For example, a delayed or cancelled departure could appear as an alert.

      posted in Transport
      B
      bwente
    • RE: Docker MagicMirror + a separate "dumb" display Pi (remote kiosk over a reverse proxy)

      @Rags I might try that out. But use a Fully Kiosk Browser on an Android tablet for the display.
      I could probably use the camera for motion detection.

      posted in General Discussion
      B
      bwente
    • MMM-MessageCenter — a unified inbox for MagicMirror notifications

      I’ve been working on MMM-MessageCenter, a module that gives notifications from different sources one consistent place on the mirror.

      The idea came from a pretty simple problem: a notification appears, disappears, and nobody knows whether anyone actually saw it. Different modules and services also handle alerts differently, so important information can easily get lost.

      MessageCenter adds a small notification history with clear unread, viewed, acknowledged, dismissed, and expired states.

      What can send messages?

      Everything:

      • Other MagicMirror modules
      • MagicMirror’s bundled Weather module
      • MMM-Remote-Control
      • Home Assistant
      • REST webhooks
      • MQTT
      • Local Unix-socket scripts and system monitors

      It intentionally doesn’t collect every internal MagicMirror event. Modules either use the MessageCenter API or an explicitly enabled adapter, which keeps refresh, navigation, and module-control traffic out of the inbox.

      A few examples

      A dishwasher notification can briefly appear as an alert and then remain in history until someone views it.

      A doorbell message can include a camera snapshot captured when the event happened, so the image doesn’t change before somebody checks it.

      The standard MagicMirror Weather module can add a “Rain approaching” message without requiring a separate weather service.

      A local monitoring script can report low disk space, high temperature, network trouble, or another condition that should be visible on the mirror.

      489bf62b-9edb-44bc-b4d7-6252e6a60b70-image.jpeg

      Different ways to display it

      MessageCenter can be used as:

      • A compact list in a normal MagicMirror region
      • A full-page message inbox
      • A touch-friendly display with message controls
      • A non-touch display that simply shows the newest messages

      It can show temporary alerts, retain message history, expire old messages, update existing messages by ID, and publish attention events for other integrations. It only says that something needs attention, leaving other modules and integrations free to decide what that means.

      0.3.0

      The module now has a line mode for side regions. It uses a lightweight, transparent layout and can show just the title and time.

      Other recent improvements:

      • English, German, Spanish, and French interface translations
      • MagicMirror language, locale, and 12/24-hour clock support
      • More reliable synchronization after browser or socket reconnects
      • Messages continue expiring while the module is hidden or suspended
      • REST, MQTT, and Unix-socket messages are retained in the server-side in-memory

      Configuration, payload examples, and documentation:

      https://github.com/bwente/MMM-MessageCenter

      posted in Showcase
      B
      bwente
    • RE: MMM-KitchenTimer - Touch-friendly countdown timer

      @Niggich looks like trigger.payload_json.remainingSeconds is empty or double quoted. Can you view just the payload and see?

      posted in Utilities
      B
      bwente
    • RE: Seymour — my modern take on the 3Com Audrey

      BTW MMM-WeatherHero is a great module for this. It looks right at home.

      8fc94368-ebaa-4459-92e5-0601d10a8eff-image.jpeg

      posted in Show your Mirror
      B
      bwente
    • RE: MMM-KitchenTimer - Touch-friendly countdown timer

      @Niggich said:

      My Echo know I want to start a Timer but it’s asking for how long.

      Great, now that you’ve confirmed MQTT is working, the next step is to add the Home Assistant automation.

      alias: MagicMirror kitchen timer started
      triggers:
        - trigger: mqtt
          topic: magicmirror/kitchen-timer/started
      
      actions:
        - action: media_player.play_media
          target:
            entity_id: media_player.kitchen_echo
          data:
            media_content_type: custom
            media_content_id: >-
              set a timer for
              {{ trigger.payload_json.remainingSeconds | int }}
              seconds
      

      I think that will work. I don’t know if it needs to be escaped or not.

      posted in Utilities
      B
      bwente
    • 1
    • 2
    • 3
    • 1 / 3